Paint Process Engineer (R1483)
The Paint Process Engineer role is to establish and develop operating parameters and controls with operations team, inspect and evaluate the paint job process and procedures, as well as a variety of pretreatment methods as needed, and conduct feasibility studies. Your duties include developing, testing, and implementing processes and procedures for using wet-spray paint systems and various applicator products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures the systems, processes, controls, work efficiently with established requirements.
- Develop and implement paint production, performance and maintenance activities to meet quality, throughput, cost, safety and environmental standards.
- Investigates root cause of operating problems to develop and implement corrective actions
- Report any quality, safety or compliance risks to appropriate
- Responsible for compliance with all applicable Environmental, Health and Safety policies/procedures, State of Wisconsin and local government laws and ordinances
- Maintain safety awareness and support implementation of prevention initiatives.
- Investigate and resolve quality problems and issues as they arise in area.
- Propose and support continuous improvement initiatives that effect product quality prior to the painting process and in the paint department
- Understand the application a variety of coatings including enamels, epoxies, urethanes and military coatings from various paint manufacturers
- Accurately document and record all required data needed to comply with each specification
- Read and comprehend documents such as, fabrication drawings, cutting orders, bills of material or other project plans, orders or specification in the order
- Monitor the proper maintenance of paint equipment, i.e., spray guns, booth, filters, etc.
- Knowledge of and adherence to hazardous waste procedures, such as but not limited to, where to store, how to label and what to do in case of a spill
- Correctly use both wet and dry MIL testers
- Adhere to ISO procedure qualifications
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Perform visual inspections of the paint process.
- Lead the creation of paint procedures and processes
- Inspect outgoing parts to insure they meet customers standards
Education and Experience:
- Technical college certificate with 2 years’ spray-painting experience, or an Associate Degree with 1 year spray painting experience is required.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree a with 3 -5 years’ experience in a wet paint environment, experience in a department of Defense or Aviation standard manufacturing environment is preferred,
- 3 + years’ operational or inspection experience in a production paint line and related processes
- Experience with spray painting in an industrial setting a plus.
- Familiarity with industrial coatings is a plus.
- Understanding of specific paint product capabilities as they relate to the painting processes desired.
- Ability to correct surface areas per customer requirements or metal imperfections preferred
- Consistent quality technique, dependable performance and skilled attention to detail.
- Physically able to wear respirators and protective equipment to on a regular basis as part of the sanding, priming and painting process is required.
- Working knowledge of the following: measuring equipment; wet MIL thickness gauges, dry MIL thickness gauges, Zahn cups, urethanes and epoxies.
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong environmental/regulatory knowledge
- Strong root cause evaluation skills and the ability to problem solve
- · Strong problem solving, analytical, and technical skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to read and interpret prints and engineering documents.
- Self-motivated with ability to foster moral in his/her team.
- Ability to read and comprehend worker logs, product processing sheets and specification sheets, to verify that records adhere to quality assurance specifications.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and contribute performance-based solutions is required.
- Must be able to work proficiently with hands and wrists and be able to grasp objects.
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work effectively independently as well as a team member.
- Excellent hand-eye coordination to consistently apply coats of paint is required along with the ability to measure the adjust application to achieve desired results.
- Specialized Experience: Product and manufacturing blueprint reading is desired.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: The employee is regularly required to walk, speak and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and reach with hand and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee must lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work environment: While performing duties of this job, the employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Fox Valley Metal-Tech has grown to become an employer of choice for machinists, welders and metal finishers alike for its challenging work and employee friendly work environment. Come be part of our team today. Great people, great work, great environment; that's Fox Valley Metal-Tech. Fox Valley Metal-Tech is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.