Fox Valley Metal-Tech is a custom metal fabrication company based in Green Bay, Wisconsin, serving local and nationally recognized companies in the defense contracting, pulp and paper, converting, custom machine building, foundry, food and beverage industries. Setting itself apart from other like companies, Fox Valley Metal-Tech delivers customized solutions where others cannot. All achieved by a talented and dedicated workforce striving to deliver quality in everything it does.
Position Overview: Works primarily in SolidWorks to create fabrication drawings derived from customer blueprint and/or models. Responsible for full drawing sets and documenting revisions. Ensuring drawing package meets the planning established in ERP. This position engineers all details and works to ensure fit and finish of final product to the customers design and specifications through detailed shop drawings. Responsible for pushing files to CNC and third-party vendors for cutting and fabrication.
Candidate will be required to develop FVMT manufacturing drawings, clarifying customer expectations into processes and documentation that result in high-quality custom metal fabrications. Responsibilities revolve around learning customer requirements and clearly documenting the most efficient drawings and manufacturing methods based on these requirements.
The Design Detailer needs to have good time management ability, commitment to quality, as well as familiarity with safety and environmental standards. Must be comfortable in a shop environment, communicate between multiple parts of the company and they will have excellent blueprint reading ability. High attention to detail is a must to help direct manufacturing.
- Prepare internal manufacturing drawings from customer blueprints and designs to include flat patterns and all dimensions required to fabricate parts or equipment, detailing all mechanical, structural and/or miscellaneous metal parts with accuracy.
- Develop drawings and work through manufacturing plan for piece parts, sub weldments, and entire machines using SolidWorks and/or AutoCAD software
- Complete and maintain all required revisions, paperwork, records, documents, etc.
- Use continuous improvement practices to make suitable improvements to product repeatability
- Understand sheet metal production and machine requirements vital to manufacturing components.
- Identify, troubleshoot, and professionally resolve issues that are causing rework and delays in product as it moves through the shop floor.
- Minor design and verification for checking fixtures, drill jigs or welding fixtures.
- Assist with design reviews for cost effective manufacturing.
- Work with operations team members to evaluate existing customer jobs, processes, and workflows to identify areas that could benefit from changes and improvements.
- Must be able to communicate and problem solve in a reasonable, respectful, and professional manner with entire FVMT team.
- Adhere to FVMT Quality Management System.
- Participate in product review updates as necessary with Project managers and shop supervisors to help with communication to and from floor for drawing and detail improvements learned in manufacturing.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Engineering Manager.
Education & Experience:
Minimum Associate degree in Mechanical design or relevant degree and 3- 5 years’ experience in a related field is required.
- Minimum of three years of hands-on experience in a regulated, high-volume or job shop manufacturing environment required.
- 3D modeling using SolidWorks preferred
- 2D CAD software knowledge a plus (AutoCAD)
- Attention to detail is a must
- Understanding of Geometric Tolerancing a plus
- Strong organizational, analytical and communication skills.
- Proficient with Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office programs
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Solid project and time management skills.
- Knowledge of sheet metal manufacturing processes, including press brake forming, machining, and welding.
- Familiarity with quality control processes.
- Basic understanding of ERP software like Infor is a plus
- Knowledge and understanding health, safety, and environmental standards.
- Ability to problem solve effectively in a team setting.
- Ability to analyze blueprints, tolerance and design parts utilizing 3D software.
- Ability to work with a diverse team at all levels in the organization.
- Ability to understand weld symbols